Posted by The Australian Financial Review on Sunday, July 27, 2018 16:31:47 A former school teacher who was allegedly forced to take part in an elaborate sex ritual at a boarding school has spoken of her shock and horror at her alleged ordeal.
Key points:Sydney mother, 48, claims she was sexually abused by a former teacher at boarding school on her way to work in 2004″I was so shocked, I didn’t know what to say,” Ms Todt told the ABC.
“I thought I was going to die, I was so scared.”
It’s like I can’t breathe.
I just can’t talk.
“Ms Todth is a mother of two and was born in New South Wales.
She was working as a teacher at the Central West Sydney College at the time of her alleged abuse.
Ms Tods experience of sexual abuse at a school has become public in the past few weeks following an ABC News report.
The former teacher, who has not been named, told her story to the ABC in a video interview on the ABC’s 7.30 program in January.
She was forced to perform oral sex on herself, perform sex acts on her friends and even had to be put in a chokehold to stop her from breathing.
She claimed she was raped by another former teacher while working in the boarding school’s care and has not spoken publicly about her ordeal.
Ms Dutton, who was a former headmaster of the school, was suspended and then sacked in 2004 for breaching the school’s sexual harassment policy.
A Victorian Court jury at this week found the former head teacher had breached the school code of conduct by failing to report allegations of sexual misconduct to police.”
There were people who were very supportive and said to me, ‘well you should be ashamed’,” she said.”
And that’s how it ended for me.
“My story is not a happy one, I don’t feel good about it, but I know that I’ve made a mistake, I’ve failed.”
In the end I just couldn’t believe that I was in the position I was, and I know now I made a very, very, bad mistake.
“This is not who we are, I just didn’t expect it to happen to me.”‘
It was so painful’The former headmistress, who also worked in the school as a principal, was released from prison in 2013 and remains employed by the school.
She said the school had been in the hands of the board since 2003.
“They were trying to take me to the next level, but they didn’t have any funding, no support,” she said, adding the board had been a “bitter” employer.
“The first time I left, I cried so hard because I was trying to do something positive for the school and I couldn’t even talk about it.”‘
The school is still trying to recover’Ms Toddt said the “horrific” experience was “so traumatising”.
“The school has been trying to rehabilitate me for years, they’ve taken me back to the day I was at the school,” she told 7.15.
“What have they done?
They haven’t had me back.”
But I feel like the school is just trying to get back to business as usual.
“All they want to do is keep their job, but at the same time they’re trying to make sure they’re doing the right thing for the students.”‘
No justice’The mother-of-two, who said she had no prior convictions and had been living with her parents for the past five years, said she believed she had been sexually abused because of her religion.
“If I wasn’t a Christian, if I was a Muslim, I would be in jail for life,” she says in the video interview.
“Because I’m a Christian I have to believe in God and in Jesus Christ.”
“So if you don’t believe in the bible, and you don�t believe in Jesus, you�re going to be in a bad situation.”
Ms Duttons lawyer, Jason Smith, said he believed the school was “on notice” of her case.
“We believe that the school has a responsibility to protect children,” Mr Smith told the broadcaster.
“To be able to have a safe and happy school environment, that needs to be ensured, and the school cannot ignore that.”
So, in the interest of justice and in the best interests of our client, we have taken the matter to the High Court.
“Topics:religion-and-beliefs,law-crime-and -administration,education,schools,education-industry,australiaFirst posted July 27, 2019 14:38:08Contact Sophie SmithContact Sue Hirst